Starting with the basics of kayak knowledge, progressing through whitewater technique, and finishing up with river running; this course will cover all of the skills that you need to know for multisport racing. It's a great option if you are new to the sport but its a mandatory requirement if you are wanting to compete in the Coast to Coast race.
For most people this is a 3-day course...
- Day 1 is split into two sessions - two flat water paddling sessions with emphasis on wing paddle technique and kayak control. In some cases we may be able to defer this day if you can prove that you have significant paddling experience e.g. multisport racing or whitewater.
- Day 2 is pure whitewater. We do this in plastic whitewater kayaks that I will supply. It's a full on day on the Tawawera River (Kawerau) and you will absolutely love it! I design this day to build your skills progressively, and by the end of it you will be amazed at what you can paddle.
- Day 3 is multisport kayaking on the Waioeka River (Opotiki). We build on the skills learnt in days 1 and 2, with the goal of you being able to competently choose race lines and stay in your kayak through rapids.
Note: if you've had significant kayaking experience and don't need the first day of coaching, we can offer a 2-day course for $750.
- 1-3rd March 2019
- 22-24th March 2019
- 3rd-5th May 2019
- 24th-26th May 2019
- I opperate on a no surprises policy - if there's something you think I should know prior, then please talk to me. Failure to do so may compromise yours or someone else's enjoyment of the lesson e.g. if you're extremely overweight or if you've never been in a kayak before
- Customers will need their own transport.
- Weather and personal commitments sometimes force cancellations - where possible I will give you as much notice as I can, but mistakes do happen and the weather can be variable in NZ so please be considerate.
- This course is run by Tim Taylor. Tim and NZ Kayaker are an approved supplier for the Coast to Coast race and is fully certified under the Adventure Regulations by QSI.
- Kayak: you will need your own multisport kayak for this course. We will sign you off as competent to paddle that make and model of kayak in whitewater.
- Package Deal: we are the only supplier in NZ that can offer a complete multisport package for kayak, cert and equipment. You will enjoy a significant discount. Please enquire for prices
- Location: rivers throughout the Bay of Plenty.
- Equipment: you will need your own personal kit - paddle, helmet etc.
- We make no guarantees that you will pass this course in 3 days...whitewater kayaking is a serious business and we like our students to be extremely competent. Tim's saying is "if I wasn't here would you be safe?" If you can't honestly say "yes", then he will ask you to come back for some extra coaching.