Learning to roll a kayak is an important skill for all paddlers. It's a great option if you are new to the sport as it will greatly help to improve your confidence as well as your overall ability. It's highly recommended for participants who are entering in the Coast to Coast, and is also a great idea for sea kayakers. We run this course in a heated pool here in Tauranga and for most people it will take 2 sessions to learn the required skills.
- Location: we normally use the BOP Polytech pool for this course but can also come to you if you have access to your own pool.
- Price is for one person but feel free to bring along a friend for an extra $50 each. We will only ever have a max of 3 people learning at one time.
- Time: 2-3 hours but this varies with each participant...we don't want you to get too waterlogged!
- This course is run by Tim Taylor. Tim and NZ Kayaker are an approved supplier for the Coast to Coast race and are fully certified under the Adventure Regulations by QSI.
- Tim has more than 20 years of kayaking experience which includes competing for NZ in whitewater slalom, circum navigating NZ in a sea kayak, Guinness World Record for 24 hour sea kayaking, as well as 7 years of guiding/coaching experience.
- Kayak: we normally teach in our plastic whitewater kayaks but if you have your own kayak and would prefer to use that you're more than welcome to bring it.
- We make no guarantees that you will pass this course in one session...kayaking is a serious business and we like our students to be extremely competent by the time they leave us. Tim's saying is "if I wasn't here would you be safe?" If you can't honestly say "yes", then he will ask you to come back for some extra coaching.