Mount Maunganui, Mauao, is the iconic destination of our region. Paddling around this ancient volcano is a great way to unwind, enjoy yourself, and discover what kayaking is all about.
Standing at the entrance to the beautiful Tauranga Harbour, Mauao is an ancient volcano that has greeted all visitors since seen the first Polynesians arrived in New Zealand. These days it boasts the most popular walking track in all of New Zealand but here at NZ Kayaker we say "why walk when you can kayak!" It doesn’t matter if you are a local or a visitor, you will be blown away with this trip.
Everyone from beginners to experts will enjoy this paddling experience as you weave in an out of rocks, learn some of the local history, and generally just cruise along with the current while looking up on beautiful Mount Maunganui. You also have the chance to encounter a variety of wildlife which includes dolphin, orca, penguins, and seals so make sure you bring your camera and be prepared to snap away.
Please contact us today if you would like to check availability.
You will be accompanied by experienced guide Tim Taylor, of notable fame for recently kayaking around the whole of New Zealand. He brings a wealth of knowledge, experience, so if you're visiting the Bay of Plenty his tour will definitely become a highlight.
- Departs: 9.00am or 2.00pm but these times are flexible so talk to us about your requirements
- Duration: allow 3 hours from your arival to departure, with time on the water roughly 2.5 hours.
- Bring: a towel, water bottle, hat, sun glasses and suitable clothing for kayaking in - shorts and a light thermal are best
- This trip is suitable for children aged 12 and up. We also recognise that some kids are bigger and more adventurous than others so if you would like to bring a younger child please contact us to ask about suitability.
- Please remember to bring your receipt as proof of purchase.
- Guests need to meet their guide at either pilot Bay or Leisure Island. We always paddle with the tide, so the direction we travel alternates every day. At the time of booking you will be advised which location.
- This tour is suitable for cruise ship passengers. Your guide will meet you at the gate and everything is only a short walk away. After your trip you are free to explore our beaches and town but please enquire if you would like to do more activities.
- At the end of the tour, you have a short walk back to your vehicle
- Each person will receive their own kayak, all necessary safety equipment, and detailed instruction on how to use it.
- The kayaks use are the sit-on-top variety, which are extremely stable and easy to use.
- You will be provided with a splash proof paddle jacket and pants to keep you warm but these are not 100% waterproof.
- Bring a pair of jandals or light footwear to put on for the walk back.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult and they will need to use a double kayak for safety reasons.
- Need to have a reasonable level of mobility
- Will need to be within a normal adult weight range. Tim’s Tours accepts no responsibility for people’s lifestyle choices and reserves the right to decline anybody who poses significant risks to themselves or the group. No refund will be given in this instance.
- All guests should be proficient at swimming.
- Should be aged 12 or over and physically capable of paddling their own kayak
- Need to inform their guide of any health issues. Discression will be used and where necessary the tour may be altered to suit individual needs.
Book a Tour
If you would like to book a tour with the team at NZ Kayaker please click the button and you will be taken to our booking page.