Kayaking at night is something that few people ever get to experience but here at NZ Kayaker we're lucky enough to be able to do it any night of the week. Our Glow Worm Experience is an amazing trip for people of any age or ability level and as there are no weather parameters, we can guarantee that it will happen!
We start this trip by meeting at the beautiful Lake McLaren. You are fitted into kayaks (single normally but doubles are available) and we paddle around the lake to get used to everything. As the evening takes hold and it gets darker, we move up the lake and into a river system. We aim to be going into our secret location just as it gets fully dark and when the glow worms start to come out for the night. This is a very special spot and we believe it's the best in the entire country for viewing these amazing creatures. We finish up the evening by paddling back down the lake in the pitch black. This is an almost spiritual experience on it's own and customers are often left speechless because of the views of the night sky.
- After purchasing this trip you will be contacted by us to discuss final details. You will be emailed an information sheet which details where we meet, what to bring,
- You will be emailed an information sheet which details where we meet, what to bring, and what time.
- Customers will need to provide their own transport and meet their guide at Lake McLaren - a 15 minute drive from Tauranga.
- Suitable for people of all ages and ability levels however children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult
- Length: usually takes around 2.5-3 hours
- Customisable: if you have a special idea in mind we are happy to work with you. In the past we have organised romantic picnic's, corporate groups, and even wedding proposals!
Book a Tour
If you would like to book a tour with the team at NZ Kayaker please click the button and you will be taken to our booking page.